Almost everyone in our modern hectic society is experiencing some degree of stress. These are also tied to hormonal imbalances and some of the many signs are:
- Daytime fatigue, insomnia, wakefulness in evening or night, waking up feeling unrefreshed
- Irritability, light-headedness, moodiness
- Weight gain or sugar cravings
- Frequent colds
- Loss of libido, erectile dysfunction
- Unnecessary sweating
- Heartburn, Gas, Irregular bowel movements
- Heart palpitations
- Hair loss
Your stress response has a purpose – to give you a short term boost of energy to get you out of danger. The problem is most of our dangers become either ongoing or “virtual” – coming from inside. The self talk that goes on such as, ” I am going to be late for work”, “I’m going to fail that assignment”, “How am I going to be able to pay my credit card bill?” etc… All of these things get us wound up in a hyper-stress dominant state without being able to properly relax, rest and repair our body and nervous system.
The feelings and effects of stress are caused by hormones which come from your adrenal glands. All of the worrying that we find ourselves doing overworks then creates deficiency of adrenal gland function. This occurs in the following stages:
- Immediate Hypersecretion – Your adrenaline levels are momentarily high and you are on high alert this very short lived and not sustained. The feeling that you have when you are startled!
- Adaptation –Sustained stress leads to adrenal release of cortisol in high levels. This is the reason you get many of the symptoms listed above – your body eventually adjusts to higher levels on a continuous basis which then can lead to the next stage…….
- Exhaustion – Your adrenals are unable to maintain the high release of hormones for your body to function efficiently. When this happens one is left feeling unable to cope and can quickly become completely mentally, physically and emotionally depleted. A person at this stage has to stop and slow down and rest and is experiencing what is termed “burnout.” Examples of burnout are : chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, Addison’s disease, and nervous breakdown.
In real life these stages are not so clearly defined – and it is important to identify and treat yourself early in order to prevent further deterioration such as burnout from becoming your state of being.. Working out of adrenal fatigue is a process and with the right strategies and support you can gain control of your life.
At Ocean Park Natural Therapies, we can help identify and manage your stress in order to build your health and reserves – no matter what stage you are experiencing.